How to get graphics / the screen saver on a service install?
When using BOINC as a service install, by default you will not have any graphics or the screen saver of the project. This can be worked around though.
- type services.msc and click OK.
- In the newly opened services window, located BOINC, right click on it, properties.
- Stop the service from running, by clicking Stop.
- Go to the Log On tab.
- Choose the option Log On as Local system account.
- Check the option underneath that, Allow service to interact with the desktop.
- Click Apply.
- Go to the General tab.
- Start the service.
- Exit the services window.
Although this workaround will work for BOINC 4.45 to 5.10.45, it won't work on Windows Vista.
For BOINC 6 it will work differently, for now. If a project uses BOINC 6 compliant applications, the graphics / screen saver application is a separate application. These will work under the normal BOINC account. The graphics of application of the time before BOINC 6 work only in Simple View and only with the above work around.
|Original writer||Original FAQ||Date|